Location: Palo Alto
Next Issue Media is looking for an experienced, well-rounded HR professional with previous start-up experience to lead our HR function reporting directly to the CEO. Through both strategic HR leadership and tactical execution, the successful candidate will help us continue to:
- Build the high-quality, team-focused, agile workforce required of a rapidly growing company in a dynamic space
- Foster growth of a culture that respects and values employees reflect the diversity and optimism of Silicon Valley
There is no better time to join Next Issue and be a contributing partner in our path to leadership in the digital publishing platform.
- Recruit the best through development and management of organized and timely recruitment process.
- Manage the performance management program, including coaching and supporting managers and employees in the performance planning, coaching, evaluation and development process
- Work with managers and employees to build a culture of openness, respect and communication, respond to all employee relations issues.
- Design and administer effective compensation and benefits programs.
- Work closely with the finance function to ensure alignment in staffing levels and budgeting
- Work with the executive team in strategic human resources planning efforts
- Ensure employment regulatory compliance
- Develop and communicate HR policies
- Provide an energizing “on-boarding” and orientation program.
- Other generalist responsibilities
- 7+ years of professional HR experience, including start-up and management/leadership experience.
- In depth generalist experience, including ER, compensation and benefits (specialist background in one or more areas preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to work with executive management team
- Strong interpersonal and coaching skills
- Demonstrated execution, “hands on” abilities
- Ability to work effectively with limited HR infrastructure
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong project management skills
- Familiarity with employment laws and practices, particularly California laws
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience, MBA preferred
- PHR or SPHR certification preferred
- Current knowledge of Silicon Valley HR “best practices” preferred
What We Offer:
- A high-impact position in a fun, energetic startup focused on the rapidly evolving tablet market
- Competitive base salary, full benefits, PTO and 401K matching.
- You will be working in our Palo Alto, CA office, a short walking distance from the California Ave. Caltrain station.
- This is a full-time, regular position.
About Next Issue
Next Issue Media, the start-up company behind the Next Issue App, is a joint venture formed by five leading U.S.-based publishers—Condé Nast, Hearst, Meredith, News Corp., and Time Inc. Next Issue has offices located in Palo Alto, California and in New York City near Times Square.
At the core of Next Issue’s offerings are the Next Issue Apps for iPad® and Android™, which bring the world’s most popular magazines to life with digital-only extras such as videos, bonus photography, interactive features, live web links and more. Our catalog includes Better Homes and Gardens, Car and Driver, Esquire, Fortune, Glamour, GQ, Parents, Popular Mechanics, People, Sports Illustrated, The New Yorker, Time, Vanity Fair, Vogue, Wired and many more.
Next Issue’s unlimited access plans offer our entire catalog of magazines—including back issues—starting at just $9.99 per month.